Eating a healthful, balanced diet is an important part of maintaining good health, and will help you feel your very best.
This means eating a huge array of foods in the appropriate proportions and consuming the right amount of food and fluids to attain and maintain healthy body weight.
Food groups in your daily diet:
It would help if you aimed to have a healthy, balanced diet, by doing these few things:
- eat at least 5 servings of a variety of vegetables and fruit daily
- base foods on high fibre starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice or pasta
- have some milk or milk alternatives (such as soy beverages )
- eat some beans, fish, legumes, eggs, meat and other protein
- select unsaturated spreads and oils, and eat them only in small quantities
- drink lots of fluids (at least 6 to 8 glasses per day)
If you have foods and beverages that are high in fat, sugar and salt, have these less frequently and in tiny amounts.
Try to choose an assortment of different foods from the 5 major food groups to get a wide selection of nutrients.